- Full Bridge mode support for TCP Acceleration. This avoids making routing configuration to ensure TCP-X can reach source and destination subnets.
- SSL settings updated for PCI Compliance.
- Central Manager Agent updated to v.1.0.24
- Enable directly attached VLAN subnets in route policies. For example a directly attached VLAN5 can now be configured as: 10.200.155.0/24 VLAN5
- Solved an ordering issue in traffic policies where the Interactive class did not always received high priority.
- Enabled RTP classification in the Deep Packet Inspection module
- Fix an issue when editing a permit/deny traffic policy saved invalid traffic rule and when editing and Application match rule and switching to a protocol match rule, the editor allowed no specific protocol or port information.
- Minor update to fix Bytes calculation to use 1024 instead of 1000.
- Additional info added to showtech output.
Version 5.0.0 Beta
- An overhaul of Reliable Stream Protocol (RSP) / Packet Loss Recovery (PLR) algorithm.
- Improvements in stability and robustness on links that exhibit packets loss, rate limiters and other link problems.
- Support for multiple concurrent optimization streams per peer connection. Achieved concurrency through deduplication, compression and RSP/PLR. Up to a maximum of 16 sessions per peer is supported.
- Improvements in Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) and detection in applications.
- Improved processing of Netflow records especially on devices with high session counts.
- Implemented Dedup Control Protocol to detect out of sync datastores between peers. It eliminates the need for a manual reset of datastore between peers in scenarios where the datastores become too much out of sync.
- Improved deduplication ratio whenever multiple flows are active between peers.
- Implemented all features and bugfixes present on the latest 4.x version.
- It will now be possible to have no TCP-x policy enabled while having the TCP-x process enabled and TCP-x Asymmetric route detection enabled at the same time.
- If a policy file is empty for some reason the factory default policy would automatically be restored. Previously if the file was deleted by accident it would be restored to a default version, but now if the file is empty a default policy would also be restored.
- A check was added to warn a user if by some chance two users click “submit” to save changes to traffic policies at the exact same time.
- Updates to the update script was made to migrate additional configuration settings like SNMP settings, TCP-X Asymmetric detection settings. It should now require less reconfiguration after an update.
- TCP-X Asymmetric Route Detection modes support for tunnel mode.
- Fixed verbose asymmetric route error log.
- Advance SNMP OIDs added for top talkers by source IP, top talkers by destination IP, peer status, application list volume optimization stats for top 20 applications, TCP-x active session count.
- TCP-X Asymmetric Route Detection for client side and full asymmetry.
- TCP-X Asymmetric Route Detection for server side asymmetry.
- Hardware support for Lanner Inc appliances.
- Bug fix for severely out of sync datastores causing 100% CPU.
- All v.4 users are advised to update to v.4.2.3.
- Monitor user added to view stats, but not configuration.
- Path Selection – Link Load Balancing
- Kernel Update Available
- New TCP & RSP/PLR Congestion control Available
- Set ipsec-in-udp & ipsec options correctly.
- Minor cosmetic “Done” message restore in settings page.
- tun/tap interface optimizations: Enabled GSO, TXQueuelength, Tap thread.
- Enable receiving jumbo frame input on Amazon AWS & subsequent fragmentation.
- Command line tool to add tunnels – intended for adding many tunnel subnets.
- UDP Shim header should only be enabled in bridge mode.
- UDP source port may be NATed to random source ports – Firewall pass-through.
- Enable disabling netflow with NFINTERVAL=0.
- Enable Webcache Block IP lists.
- Add Firewall option to permit/deny traffic in traffic policies.
- Spread NetFlow over two threads.
- Enable tunnel subnet exclusion with Not Tunneled option.
- Increase Traffic policies and tunnel subnets to 1000.
- Enable DHCP config option for auto IP assignment e.g. AWS, Azure, Opennebula.
- Tunnel destination IP auto assigned to the same tunnel interface.
- Tunnel timeout implemented to work like v.3 tunnel timeouts if peer goes down.
- Fixed issue when both WebCache and TCP-X are enabled at the same time in Tunnel Mode.
- Fixed rare issue where license went to unlicensed state after process reset.
- Tag MSSAdjust correctly when ECN flag is set in the SYN packet.
- IPsec and IPsec-in-UDP for tunnel mode.
- Packet Aggregation / Packet Coalescing
- Solved DPI debug logs when TCP-X enabled.
- Option to always honour Delay Ack (RSP_OOO_FAST_ACK=false) for low bandwidth links.
- Limit MicroCore to 4GB for the datastore to avoid adding too many peers dynamically.
- Solved DPI/NetFlow stats for WAN RX.
- Rolled back change to reduce NetFlow CPU time. Affected since v.4.1.
- Resolves Trial License expires prematurely. Affected since v.4.1.
List vda disks the same as sda & vxda in the UI Datastore drop-down.
- Resolved losing connectivity when setting tunnel mode without tunnel config in v.4.1.
- Forward Error Correction (FEC) added to further increase Packet Loss Recovery performance.
- Multi-WAN Link fail-over for bridge and tunnel mode.
- Multi-WAN Link monitoring on end-to-end connectivity and latency tracking.
- HTTPS/SSL Web Caching Caching with a target of corporate HTTPS Apps and Microsoft Office 365.
- Improved Congestion, latency, loss, WAN policy detection and avoidance.
- Reduce memory requirements to ensure resources are not over-provisioned as in v.4.0.3 BETA
- Reduce NetFlow CPU time (Rolled back in 4.1.3)
- Improve site to site tunnel via a central Hub to optimize both legs of the connection.
- Improve logging and logrotate.
- More Fragment & Reassembly handling.
- NOS-450 Bypass utility update.
- Peer Keep-Alive is enabled by default in tunnel mode. Optional for bridge mode (CONTROL_TRAFFIC_KEEPALIVE=false).
- Improve Tunnel mode by bypassing non-tunneled destined traffic early.
- Force Speed & Duplex setting adding in wanos/ethtool_options.
- Increased default open file limits.
- Compression level 0 now means no compression.
- Fixed ratios over 1000 e.g 1500% were printed 1.5%.
- Peer detected on LAN messages are now optional.
- Reset CPU Graph after total vCPU numbers changed.
Make TCP-X compatible with tunnel mode e.g. Amazon AWS
Update WebCache caching rules
- RSP/PLR improvements.
- Lower RED Drop Probability.
- L2 Broadcast Filters.
- Minor Cosmetic fixes.
- Tunnel Policies.
- RSP/PLR improvements.
- RTT Calculations improvements.
- RSP Reflect TCP State sync packet.
- Minor cosmetic fixes & improvements.
- TCP sessions to be optimized are dynamically learned via TCP Option tags.
- Peer info e.g. Peer IP & Hostname are automatically detected via TCP Option tags.
- MultiSite configuration removed, since this is auto detected.
- Layer7 Deep Packet Inspection – Detection, Quality Of Service, and Visibility.
- TCP Acceleration Performance Enhancing Proxy.
- WebCache & WebCache Stats.
- Optional High Speed Per Packet Multi-thread Load Balancing Compression.
- Click Modular Router update.
- Click Router Hotswap / Live Reconfiguration.
- Numerous minor core improvements.
- Numerous minor cosmetic improvements.
- Ubuntu system setting updates.
Final v.3 version
- Minor changes to display new license info immediately after upload.
- Reduce peer detected on LAN to 1 every 15 seconds.
- Increase netflow session summary limit from 110 to 1000.
- Change Wanos 300 hardware device checks.
- Change in PLR to not use CLOSE_WAIT state.
- New v.3.2.3 Raw Disk, OVA, VHD images and resized partitions.
- Updates to allow a DHCP IP when booting in Amazon EC2.
- Minor change to UDP encapsulation peer probe messages for Amazon EC2 deployment.
- Added static routes to be configured in the UI.
- Removed Export to PDF. Re-added in version 4 Alpha.
- Display IP on the console banner at boot-up.
- Don’t Fragment bit can be set on UDP encapsulation.
- New default compression algorithm that provides better speed and compression ratio.
- Fix performance degradation on specific custom datastore sizes.
- Fix multithreading bug when running compression level-4 in MultiSite. Affects version 3.1.4 and earlier.
- Solve condition were TCP Options were included in the datastore.
- Core changes to deduplication.
- Improve 64-bit memory usage.
- Improve deduplication speed.
- Improve deduplication hash quality.
- Minor fix to set NetFlow REAP time to 4 minutes instead of 4 seconds.
Fixed UDP Encapsulation WRED in 3.1.2
- PLR optimization – PLR causes TCP sessions to accelerate which is good when there is available bandwidth, but when drops occur due to congestion the PLR acceleration can cause TCP to not slow down sufficiently causing the congestion not to equalize. 3.1.2 implements a special Random Early Detection algorithm to avoid congestion when PLR acceleration causes TCP to not slow down sufficiently. In short PLR and stream compression should now play better together with congestion on the WAN yet still provide the acceleration when bandwidth is available.
- New graphs displayed NaN values when value was larger than 4GB in the total column.
- Changes to make console access more reliable. Console access limited to ttyS0 / Com0 port.
- Fixed IO benchmark on Ubuntu.
- Ubuntu bare metal image should now partition and format free space automatically on first boot.
- Minor cosmetic fixes, e,g platform info, WAN Tx shaper tooltip, graph values.
- 450 and 300 NIC bypass drivers added.
- 450 bypass on/off switch via LCD panel.
- Optimization to reduce netflow load spikes every 2 minutes.
- Static routes can now be added via the static_routes file.
- Additional TCP and UDP header checks added whether offloading is supported or not.
- Additional 2-byte checksum added to catch damaged compressed packets.
- The update has been created for clients experiencing instability when handling corrupt TCP headers.
- The patch also enables checksum (receive) on the NIC if it is supported.
Is a minor update. Requires v.2.6.2 – 3.0.3
Although it is a minor update, care should be taken since some system level changes are made on Ubuntu machines. No core changes are introduced and hence this update is backwards compatible with 3.0.x.
- Improved Graphs.
- Improved Interface Masters Niagara Bypass card support.
- VLAN tagging support for in-path Management Interface.
- Minor cosmetic updates: NIC driver info, Health Checks for Wanos process.
- Improved watchdog can now send heartbeats to the Niagara bypass cards, but can also be set to reboot the system.
- For hardware-only based bypass cards, the watchdog can be set to shut the appliance to trigger bypass.
- Improved logging and configurable debugging options will help us to provide better support.
- Fixed console access for Ubuntu based appliances.
- Fixed a case on Ubuntu where the wanos process does not shutdown correctly on some hardware systems.
- wanos-fdisk and configuring datastore partitions in the UI updated for Ubuntu.
- Fixed a condition on Ubuntu where running “switchportroles” a number of times could lead to lan0 and wan0 ending up with the same MAC.
- Fixed the CPU indicator again.
- Switching datastore partitions is not recommended on live systems, but in an attempt to limit the amount of downtime, switching between mounted partitions no longer requires a reboot.
- Update removes the biosdevname package on Ubuntu, since this conflicts with Wanos interface naming.
Is a minor update. Requires v.2.6.2 – 3.0.2
- Switch Interface Port Roles
- False disk space alert logged on Ubuntu
- Minor description updates in the UI
- CPU Indicator
- Intel IGB Ethernet driver fixed for MicroCore Linux
- Configuration Backup/Restore fixed.
- VLAN trunk interfaces are now supported by default in bridge mode.
- This is useful when a router performs inter-VLAN routing and has a trunk configured to a Layer2 switch.
- The Wanos wan0 management IP address needs to be on the native untagged VLAN.
- VLAN tags are transparently passed through, ie VLAN 10 traffic on lan0 will be tagged VLAN 10 on wan0.
- SNMPv3 and more MIBs.
- Front End: A new bootstrap based web interface.
- Back End: Bug fixes for better memory handling.
Through Plus support Interface Masters Niagara bypass cards are supported. Please contact support if interested.
- Minimal Minor Update CLI script for v2.6.2.
- Recommended if Packet Loss Recovery is enabled.
- Multithread bug fix in Packet Loss Recovery most evident on 600ms+ @ 20Mbps+.
- Optimization & Interface graph incorrectly graphed one value in bytes and not bits after changes in 2.6.
- Minor update to tunnel mode to make it more efficient.
- Fixed update via GUI, hence the next update will be applied via the web interface.
v.2.6.2 Is a minor update from 2.6.1
New in 2.6.2
- Tunnel mode for optimized traffic.
- Fixed backwards compatibility for plus keys.
- Fixed 32-bit mode
- NetFlow interval reduced from 5 minutes to 2 minutes to see stats update sooner.
This is a major update and is not backwards compatible. Please test thoroughly before deploying in production and report any anomalies to help us fix them asap.
Major changes in 2.6.1:
- Linux kernel updated to 3.16.6
- 64-bit kernel is now default.
- 32-bit is available in dual boot and can be enabled for older appliances.
- Dedup is now both faster, with better compression ratios. New optional dedup config settings for high speed links.
- Packet Loss Recovery is now out of beta and heading towards being on by default in v.3.0.0
- High and Low optimization settings are replaced with more Compression and Dedup options between 0 – 4. Lew is working on updating the docs.
- Alpha transparent squid webcache is available for testing (disabled by default)
- Express reduced to 1 Mbps.
Fixes, improvements and minor UI updates
- Fixed a bug in Packet Loss Recovery that caused network lockups. (Spiffster)
- Graphs now scale past 100 Mbps up to 1 Gbps. (Spiffster)
- Fixed a few issues with stuck NetFlow stats. (IT Mildura)
- Fixed the High CPU usage when enabling bandwidth shapers.
- UI now recognize TB disks (Optimera.us)
- Dashboard, Protocols and Sessions stats can now be filtered per peer.
- Fixed issue where UDP encap kept remote peer up while restarting the service.
- Fixed an issue where TCP Syn packets were not tagged with peer detect option when EOL option was present. (Beyers)
- Fixed the extremely difficult to read negative (-Mbps) numbers in the graphs.
- Disabled IP Fragmentation reassembly since it caused more harm than good.
- Added a benchmark tool.
- Added Hyper-V drivers.
- Silicom PCI-X bypass card support is dropped, but support for new cards are coming.
- Made virtual lan0 address pingable locally from the cli
- Made it possible to boot on a single nic without further configs.
- Made it possible to migrate a machine to new hardware without ./clean.sh (Keys + wan0 and lan0 interfaces will need to be reconfigured)
- New dashboard for better visibility of Optimized traffic and bypassed traffic.
- Peer Status tab should now work in Chrome, Firefox and IE.
- Some cosmetic touch-ups. (Lew, Beyers)
- DNS settings (required when enabling the webcache)
- Fixed the disabled ‘shape’ action in traffic policies (Loic)
- Added a Global WAN shaper. The global bandwidth limit has been tied into PLR to avoid packet loss on a congested WAN. This will likely become an essential/required config step. (Loic, LuisP)
- Added SSH password change to the UI.
- Added Admission Control alerts to warn users that the limit has been exceeded.
- Added Alert to notify user that GW must be found on wan0.
- Drive usage indicator.
- Also made Disk IO stats per CPU thread for a clearer picture.
- Dropped the WAN simulator (Not required since Express is now 1 Mbps and the global wan shaper replaces it).
- Queue depth is now calculated on Licensed bandwidth or configured Global bandwidth limit to avoid bufferbloat on low speed links. (Cristian) (Would be great if users on < 512 Kbps links contact us to determine if we can further optimize the queues for low speed links based on real world conditions)
Compatible with v2.0.4
- MultiSite free support dropped for Express.
- Express supports only the Default site 0, for single remote site deployments.
- Fixed a new MultiSite bug for Plus users.
- Peer status missing info bug fixed.
- Packet loss recovery status added to peer status.
- Minor GUI updates: e.g. Alert footer added to remind users to apply policy changes.
- UDP Encap src port changed to 4050.
- Layer 3 Routed mode
- Out of path via Routing
- Out of path via PBR
- Single Ethernet deployment
- Simple gateway router for multiple LAN subnets
- QoS improved to not influence Packetloss Recovery and Packet Order Correction and will help some scenarios to keep the datastores better in sync.
- CPU graphs now graphs each CPU thread for a more detailed view of thread utilization.
- It has a major throughput performance boost on recent CPU/RAM hardware. Depending on hardware configuration throughput increase is expected to be 20-130%. On one specific test system throughput increased 2.3X.
- Additional safety checks for packet loss recovery and packet order correction. These features are very robust and dynamic based on network conditions. Cold compression ratio increase significantly with these enabled (will get the specific figures).
- Some reported missing peer status info in the Peer status tab at random times.
- MultiSite calculated required Ram incorrectly.
- Added initial Health Status/Check tab.
- SSH disabled/enabled via gui settings.
- Datastore drive configurable via GUI. (Still requires valid partition to exist). After updating to 2.0.2 double check / reconfigure datastore drive.
- As requested the policy configuration has been made easier to edit existing rules.
- 10-20% Throughput improvement @ 0% reduction loss.
- Fixed a bug where reloading a full datastore on one side would lead to sub-optimal optimization due to syncing.
- Fixed a bug introduced in 1.3.4 that caused Netflow data to not expire correctly.
- Alpha Netmap support.
Note: If 1.3.4 is running in a stable environment, it is not required to upgrade yet. Upgrade if the current deployment is in the trial/test phase.
- Significant changes to improve multi-threading.
- Shellshocker security updates, although Wanos is not vulnerable from unauthenticated sessions.
- Changed the default multithreading config.
- Top Protocols sorting added.
- Fixed the 64GB partition sizes in the .OVA and .VHD packages.
- QoS traffic graphs
- Per Peer LAN/WAN traffic graphs
- Initial process priorities
- Fixed a case where fragments caused NetFlow to crash.
Is a maintenance release:
- Patched a bug that dropped UDP traffic.
- Added default Encrypted and Interactive bypass policies.
- Enabled UDPEncap peering sample rates to be adjustable or disabled.
Is a major update.
- More safety nets implemented for UDP and TCP fragments.
- Fix implemented where click process froze randomly when CPU threads were >= 6. Only affected high spec devices with 8-12 cores.
- Traffic policies changed to require a protocol in order to avoid accidental UDP optimization.
- UDP Optimization improved.
- Traffic Session Flow statistics e.g. src_ip dst_ip 90% reduction.
- Top protocol/application statistics e.g. www, pop3
- Live graph added to help monitoring. live ratio and live bytes saved (From LAN to WAN and vice versa)
- Per Peer/Site optimization graphs e.g. possible to see stats for Site_A, Site_B and Site_C
- Ratio Graphs added e.g. Ratio 2X for the last Hour, Day etc.
- Ability to export graphs added.
- Peering Status to see which sites are online.
- Bypassed/Passthrough traffic excluded from optimization graphs.
- Netflow export to external collector.
- UDP Encapsulation of optimized traffic.
- Core/Edge renamed to High/Low to reduce confusion. Docs will be updated as well.
- wanos-show utility added.