Author Topic: Re: ARM Version  (Read 5877 times)

meldery

• Contributor
  • New
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Version
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:41:46 AM »
Hi Wanos Team
is there a plan to have img for ARM platform? I can help? in fact i will start tomorrow ... is theer any a show-stopper?
also, what plat form are you planning to release?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:30:18 PM by ahenning »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Version
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
Hi, yes, there are some ARM images that were created for the Raspberry Pi which ran for quite a while in a live network. They were surprisingly stable, but lacked sufficient RAM to scale well. Something like the Utilite with 2GB ram would work great as an edge, although the 32GB SSD is a bit limited. The downer is that at the $220 range, the Intel Atoms at $299 start to look very attractive with a lot more horsepower and storage space .
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

anonyfw

• View Profile
Re: Re: ARM Version
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »
Hi, yes, there are some ARM images that were created for the Raspberry Pi which ran for quite a while in a live network. They were surprisingly stable, but lacked sufficient RAM to scale well. Something like the Utilite with 2GB ram would work great as an edge, although the 32GB SSD is a bit limited. The downer is that at the $220 range, the Intel Atoms at $299 start to look very attractive with a lot more horsepower and storage space .

besides of Raspberry Pi, consider some android box SOC solution such as RK3066,RK3188 etc, which is much more faster than Raspberry Pi box 

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
Hi,

Yes, the ARM support does sound like a good idea. For a while Wanos was developed on this platform. A number of benchmarks on the site is based on Raspberry Pi.

The deal breaker for ARM and why I think not more ARM based network appliances are available is that once a full functional system is built, or in other words everything else but the CPU, then the cost saving is marginal. e.g APU board http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm is about $136

If there is a full ARM system, with 2GB RAM, >=32GB and two Ethernet ports (e.g. Utilite Pro) for $100 then it could work. Above that mark the AMD G series and Atom based systems become a better option.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
On and off there are interest in the ARM version. For those interested I have prepared some bench marks

Raspberry Pi at 90-100% utilization:
1) LZ low: 47 Mbps
2) LZ high: 20 Mbps
3) LZ high decompress + Reduplication: 10 Mbps
4) LZ low + Deduplication: 4 Mbps
5) LZ high + Deduplication: 3.5 Mbps
6) Dedup only: 4 Mbps

Note in production the utilization needs to be significantly lower than this 90%+ best case scenario. Realistically I would rate the Pi good for 512 Kbps (High/Core) and 5 Mbps (Low/Edge).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:38:08 PM by ahenning »