Author Topic: Simple case deployment  (Read 23735 times)

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Simple case deployment
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:33 AM »
WAN0 was connected to the LAN router and LAN0 was connected to the PTP radio at BTS1

The two wan0 interfaces need to point to each other. In other words wan0 needs to connect to the PTP radio. This is most likely the reason the peers are down. At least this side needs to be switched (its possible from the GUI to make it easier), then after the change, also check the remote side log for new messages.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Thanks, peer staues is up. I though as much that the WAN interface for optimization should be sidewards facing...
Now that we've established connectivity, may I ask 3 questions for best practice for WISP.

1. What is the best recommended setting Between BTS for WISP? high - high, high - low, low - high  or low - low. (Main interest is throughput speed).

2. After testing and hopefully migrating to WANOS plus, what raw bandwidth should we look at theoretically to conservatively achieve a throughput of between 100 - 200mb with WANOS. Hardware are INTEL ATOM PROCESSOR C2750 (8 core) 32Gb ram, 1TB samsung evo pro SSD on each WANOS device

3. Any special config, routes settings etc that may be specifically helpful for PTP link on same subnet?

Thanks for the great work in WANOS

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
First it should be noted that wanos is designed for a WAN where its expected to see a few remote sites. That said, there are a couple low level configurations that we can change to optimize the configuration for high speed point to point links, that we can discuss at a later stage.

The RAM is ample, on express it will be limited to 4GB, with plus we could possibly even load the datastore in the 32GB RAM for ultimate throughput. SSD's are also good for 100 Mbps throughput.

The atom cpu is however not going to make the 100-200 Mbps in High (25-40 Mbps max throughput in ptp). It should however work very well in a WAN with a couple remote branch sites. Even after some low level configuration changes to assign more CPU resources to the single ptp link, we would be lucky to get 100 Mbps out.

In low the Atom should reach at least 150 Mbps. But low is not ideal of internet type of traffic. It can produce 3X more bandwidth on some specific applications, but since internet traffic has a lot of already compressed data the results will be low (possibly 20% reduction on generic internet traffic).

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
I do understand the WAN optimization as a site to multiple site and perharps the limitations applicable to a WISP environment, all the same if any kind of bandwidth savings can be achieved here, its worth it.

Moving forward, I take it that a high high config is better for my kind of deployment but when switching to plus, a better CPU say i7 or xenon will be better? Right, got that.

At the moment, I am only testing with an E1 (1mbps), however on migrating to Plus, I'll be using a DS3(45mbps). I guess I'll be contacting then for the low level setting and all...

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Ok, sure the current specs is more than adequate for the E1 (1-2 Mbps), but might struggle a bit in default settings on the 45 Mbps.

It would be interesting to see your ptp throughput results on this CPU.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
Thanks. I'll be dedicating a day next week to extensively test, I'll send in the results. 

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Spent all day testing today. Nothing was changed and all config was left in default except IP address for the WANOS device. The only output testing was result was obtain from speedtest.net. Setup was exactly as show in the diagram tittled 'setup'and test was done in high - high, high-low, low - high, and low - low.

The results were pretty much the same with no visible increase in terms of internet throughput as all results pegged at same 1mb sort of. However, I notice considerable, and unusual smoother throughput any-time the optimization is on. It's so strong, I could swear I had a internet bandwidth increase, ping time was at anall time low, pages were loading like they were on steroids but there was no visible internet increase at least from speedtest.net

Test result are also attached. Do you think this is to be expected?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:58:10 PM by ceo@tehilahbase.com »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »
The results are not expected if the Internet link is actually more than 1 Mbps. The two conditions that can cause this is if the internet connection is limited to 1 Mbps or the gateway device as in the diagram is limiting traffic to 1 Mbps. For example if the Internet link is capable of 10 Mbps and the gateway will send up to 10 Mbps of traffic, this would for example be compressed to 500 kbps between wanos devices, decompressed and the user receives 10 Mbps.

In the ISP / WISP this might not be the desired result, since you might still want to give the user the 1 Mbps he bought, but use the compression to get more bandwidth over the WISP backbone. In this case, the gateway could be limiting traffic to 1 Mbps, which is reduced to e.g. 50 Kbps and decompressed to 1 Mbps, which the user receives. Now the user still gets his 1 Mbps, but only 50 Kbps used over the backbone.

The wanos optimization stats will also indicate what the 1 Mbps traffic is reduce to between the wanos devices. This can also be verified by the equipment in the middle.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
The internet bandwidth capacity is really 5mb however I limited the bandwidth to 1mb from the gateway because well for one, the gateway is directly feeding the wanos 1 only one IP at 1/1mb, I guess I could as well be buying 1Mb from the provider to run the test and the provider will only limit to 1mb from their end which is pretty much the same 1/1mb coming from the gateway and their last mile delivery to my base is also via microwave radio.

The gateway feeds into wanos 1 directly and between the wanos device, the PTP bridge and the test PC, it's all gigabyte LAN speed all the way. The PTP radios has a phy rate of 1.7gb (about 800mb real throughput), there are no bandwidth limits nor shaping of any kind.

In the end, I intend to move WANOS 1 over to the provides data center and wanos 2 feed the gateway as the goal is to increase WISP backbone but the setup will pretty much be the same.
Could the result be because its on same LAN subnet?

Giving the current situation any advise on the way forward? I could change any setup to your advise.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
The results are expected with the 1 mbps limit on the gateway. Wanos 1 receives 1 mbps, compresses it to e.g. 50 kbps and then wanos-2 decompresses it back to 1 Mbps. In a WAN, the WAN links are the bottleneck and this allows a branch with say 64 Kbps links to get 1 Mbps throughput.

With a 5 Mbps provider link and 800 Mbps WISP backbone, the bottleneck is on the provider link side, so the most effective place to deploy Wanos would be over the 5 Mbps link. So I think your idea to move wanos-1 to the provider will produce the most useful benefits.

For temporary testing, what you could do is place the 1 Mbps rate limit to the test pc IP on the radio or if there is something like a Mikrotik router somewhere in the middle. If the radio link is say limited to 1 Mbps and the provider link is 5 Mbps, then you should see 5 Mbps throughput with the tests and 1 Mbps throughput with optimization disabled.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »
Yes you're perfectly right. I retested by limiting the PTP link to 1mb and I could pull the exact 5mb at the other end and that very smoothly.
I was reflecting over the idea of moving wanos 1 to my provider but again I guess the result will be same as my initial test as they also place the bandwidth shaping on their router not on the high speed PTP radios.
Moving forward, I keep thinking on how people like me with high speed PTP can benefit from wanos and then I thought I should ask; are there some setting or tweaks that can be done to justify and take advantage of the platform even if throughput is not readily an immediate benefit? I am saying this because, I see a vast improvement in the network anytime both wanos are connected, no throughput increase as said but like I said from the beginning, any optimization would be a big plus to the network.

Lastly, knowing fully well that their might not be much visible throughput increase over high speed PTP (at least given my setup), so how do we move to plus so as not be limited by the 20mb and 64 GB limit on wanos free (hoping that optimization tweaks and all proves successful).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:57:32 AM by ceo@tehilahbase.com »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
Hi,

I am glad there is a vast improvement and suspect that perhaps the smaller compressed packets and minor TCP tweaks are having a positive affect over the radio links. I am reluctant to recommend moving to plus since the full benefits cannot be realized in this scenario. It would have been a much better value proposition if the tests showed 50 Mbps throughput over the 5 Mbps provider link.

Perhaps we should have a Skype call to chat about the network design and how we can make it work?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:18:41 AM by ahenning »

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »
Sure. Skype is fine, what day of the week would be convenient for you? May I suggest Monday? I'll live the time to you. You could suggest alternative days too, Saturdays and Sundays are equally fine.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
Thanks, Monday is good, I'll send an email with my skype details.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Still waiting for the skype details...