Author Topic: Network disconnect after sometime  (Read 9372 times)

hoyin630

• View Profile
Network disconnect after sometime
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »
Hi

I am testing wanos for our internal network
We have experience some problem, we found that the traffic cannot pass through wanos after sometime during our test. I did tcpdump on wan and lan interface on wanos, both can capture traffic mean traffic can reach wan and lan interface but cannot  pass through wanos, I have try restart wanosd and can pass through wanos again. Please help to resolve this

Thanks

Hoyin

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Network disconnect after sometime
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
Hi Hoyin,

This is known to happen if either side is running a different version. Please ensure both sides are running the same version.

Do you have some more information about your configuration e.g. network topology, vlans, interfaces. Is this a VM or a physical appliance? If VM, is the Wanos lan0 placed in the same VM network as the servers?

Also try adding specific traffic rule policies for the source and destination networks that need to be optimized.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:34:59 AM by ahenning »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

hoyin630

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »
Both end are running 1.2.2

and it is a physical machine

our testing env like this

PC ---- WANOS ------ Switch ------ WANOS ---PC

There are no any vlan and both PC are in the same subnet, WANOS management IP are in the same subnet too

Hoyin

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »
Any update to this test? I am intrested.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Hoyin,

Do I understand all aspects correctly:
This is a lab test (both connected to the same switch).
Only wan0 is connected to the same switch i.e. lan0 is connected directly to the PC's.
No VM's or virtual switches are used.

To do:
Create the most basic traffic rule to only optimize traffic between the two PC's e.g.
src: 192.168.10.50/32 dst: 192.168.10.51/32
on the other end
src: 192.168.10.51/32 dst: 192.168.10.50/32

If the problem still occurs, please also attach the log.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

hoyin630

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »
Thank for your help, seem no more disconnection

I would like to ask If I found many tcp small packet (144byte), can wanos tcp optimization help on this case ?

Thanks

hoyin630

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »
and how about rtsp and rtmp , wanos also can help ?

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
It is really going to depend on the application:

Yes, when:
1) streaming the same content multiple times, e.g. info/billboards or a training center
2) if the codec can be further compressed

No, when the stream is always new e.g. a live feed and the codec cannot be further compressed.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
@ hoyin630 @ahenning

@ hoyin630, if possible, could you kindly posted your config for this very test, pics, results, route config, etc? your post was actually what rekindled my interest in wanos. Many thanks in advance.

@ ahenning, the lab test hoyin630 did is the exact same deployment was I was talking about on the post http://wanos.org/forum/index.php?topic=91.0  I am thinking there should be some success sort of... My gears should be arriving in a few days and my test would begin.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
Hi,

Since the devices were on the same lan segment without any vlans and there probably would've been other devices on the same L2 & L3 in between the wanop devices, I suspect the config needed to looks something like the attached.

I don't have any info on the tests other than this thread so cannot comment. If the objective was to test on the lan with a wan emulator/simulator in the middle, then as a POC it should have worked. If the objective was to increase LAN speeds e.g. 100-1GbE then it is most likely that throughput would have decreased. Often users have some other type of network issue e.g. TCP Window scaling failing and look at wanos as a patch.

That said we have test benched Wanos at 2 Gbps on a 2x Xeon E5310 appliance at about 35% utilization. The drawback on this high throughput rates is that optimization ratio's suffer and in this particular case 10% reduction on generic internet traffic and 90% on compressible data. This is something that we can reintroduce at any time.

Also on the subject of throughput, the terms Core and Edge will fall away and be replaced with Optimization level: High, Low. Perhaps its an option to re-enable the max throughput optimization and make the terms High, Medium, Low or a scale e.g. 1-5. Then this enables the designer to select the balance between optimization and throughput.

ceo@tehilahbase.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »
Yea I agree with you. I can't really say much until I begin my test and see how it goes. I already create a thread on this on a WISP centric forum, hoping that other WISP will take interest and I think its already creating a buzz...

You might want to check it out http://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Lounge/WAN-Optimization-anyone-tried-this/m-p/987759#U987759

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
Thanks for the link. I see Jens also responded. If I recall correctly he was using Wanos on Axiomtek based Riverbed appliances, but could not get the required throughput (150-200 Mbps). The options were to reduce optimization levels or throw resources at it. Tough nut to crack in the ISP space.