Author Topic: Test Deployment help  (Read 4546 times)

bboy8012

• View Profile
Test Deployment help
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
I'm a little confused on how/where to place the VM appliance in our network setup, our setup is like this wan vlan on core switch-->riverbed-->SIG1000 firewall L2L vpns-->to core switch, and our ESXi servers area on a vlan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Test Deployment help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
Hi there,

To clarify the topology, does the L2 VPN represent the wan and therefore the two core switches are in separate locations? Users and Servers are on either side of the core switches?

If the servers are on a single vlan then the wanos lan0 can be placed in that same port group. Wanos wan0 would link via a vlan to the core switch.

Although that will work, a cleaner design would be to configure two nics to the core switch. One in the server/lan vlan and the other in a new firewall/wan vlan that the firewall is also in.

Examples of one side of the wan:
ESXi servers vlan 100 --- lan0-wanos-wan0 --- FW vlan 200

If the core switches are doing Layer3 routing for multiple vlans, then the Wanos is placed between the core switch and the firewall:
LAN vlans 0-100 --- L3-switch --- lan0-wanos-wan0 --- FW

I hope it helps, but if not, lets go back to the current topology in case I misunderstood it.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

bboy8012

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
Correct the core switch is doing the routing. I guess my question is can I run it parallel, or does it have to be inline with the network? I.E. trunk one port add to lan0-wanos and tag wan0-wanos. Does this have a route mode? We currently have a riverbed between our 2 hubs which are inline from our L2L firewall to the lan, I was looking to place this behind the riverbed for our remote sites that don't have a wan acceleration appliance. Thanks

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to use a Configure Single Physical NIC for VMware vSphere (ESXi) and use the inside/outside vlans on this trunk. It has some drawbacks in that it does not support failover and only the two vlans can be trunked on that port.

Placing the riverbed and wanos back to back is working without incident in other networks, so it should be fine. Just to be extra safe, bypass the Riverbed optimized networks on Wanos and the Wanos optimized networks on Riverbed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:13:37 PM by lmolina »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs