Author Topic: what is the max WAN through put WANOS Support  (Read 8421 times)

RamIndia

• Contributor
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
what is the max WAN through put WANOS Support
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Hi Admin

can you suggest me what is maximum WAN Throughput WAN OS Support

Take example, if i have 100MB WAN, it will be with WAN OS 1GB after Deployment is this correct.

So Does WAN OS supports 100Mb WAN ?

if YES what hardware required both the ends ?

Ram

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: what is the max WAN through put WANOS Support
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
Hi Ram,

It depends whether in High or Low setting:

High:
If the CPU and disk can manage 100 mbps, then yes, that throughput is possible on a point to point link. A top-end Xeon or desktop CPU like an i5-3170K or i7-4790K and SSD disks would be required. No software limitations are applied, but the efficiency of the deduplication will not be optimal at this rate.

100 Mbps can be also be achieved with less CPU processing power in a MultiSite network e.g. 4 Sites at 25 Mbps each. In this case a first generation i7 and a good SSD would work. Efficiency will be much better as well.

Low:
The Atom D525 does 80-100 Mbps consistently in the 'low' setting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:43:31 PM by ahenning »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
I am interested in some clarification on this subject, particularly for my setup. We have 4 sites, our main site has 400/400Mb connection while the 3 other offices are asymmetric 100/20Mb  down/up. A few questions:

1. Does wanos benefit more from multiple cpu cores or single thread performance?
2. Is processing power needed mostly for sending data or processing the received data?

I am wondering if we can setup a dedicated high performance wanos appliance at our main office where we have a 400/400 link, and stick with VMs (also set to high) at the remote locations since they will max out at only 20Mb upload.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
Hi,

1) Yes, Multicore does benefit the throughput. This might not be visible in a single throughput lab test, but in a larger network, definitely yes.
2) Yes, sending data means compression and dedup, which is a lot more processing intensive than decompression and reduplication. Hence, the 20 Mbps upload would likely be the bottleneck at the remote sites. The VM route can work if the storage is local.

400 Mbps is a tall order, but it is possible with the three remote sites. I take it the Internet breakout makes up for the remaining 100 Mbps. If correct then optimized traffic is closer to 300 Mbps which makes it a bit easier.

The static settings of Express might just just work, if the setup is perfect. If the POC goes well and you want some guarantees then I would recommend going with the Plus route so that we can work with you to ensure the 300-400 Mbps is achieved reliably. It also enables a larger datastore which will be very useful at these throughput speeds.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
For interest sake, the steelhead CX-5055H that supports up to 400 Mbps has 10x SSD drives in a raid array.

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
For interest sake, the steelhead CX-5055H that supports up to 400 Mbps has 10x SSD drives in a raid array.

And that Steelhead is only $99,950 with the required license ::)
No reference to processor specs anywhere though. Probably a high end Xeon I imagine.

Either way, I plan on purchasing a dedicated appliance for our main site and will probably use a Xeon E3 1230 v2 and a PCI-e SSD like an OCZ RevoDrive or similar. For the branch offices I think a wanos VM will do nicely considering they will only need to handle a 20Mb upload. The ESXi servers at the remote offices all use 4x 15K SAS drives in RAID10.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
That is quite decent hardware. The 130000 IOPS of the RevoDrive3 is particularly impressive. What drivers are used to manage the drive? Performance would probably be better loading it as a second drive. It will be interesting to see the throughput.

We really need some top end benchmarks, especially 5.4k, 7,2K, 10K and 15K RPM HDD, Raid and SSD's. On the CPU side the trend is relatively linear until Random Read IOPS becomes a bottleneck. Based on my calculations, I suspect the E3-1230 will max out at 200 Mbps if IO or some other bottleneck is not a problem. If the peak throughput is more, that would be great.

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
There is even a newer model out now that has improved performance over the RevoDrive 3, the RevoDrive 350. I will let you know exactly how it all performs once I get it all setup. It may take a month or two to get all the pieces in place, but I think im going to go with a Lenovo RS-140 with the E3-1225 processor which is a slight step down from the E3-1230 but should be adequate for our needs.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
The OCZ Z-Drive also looks very impressive.

What is interesting is that although the sequential read/write speed is phenomenal, based on ssd.benchmark.com the Random Mixed Read Write improvement over to the top end standard SSD drives is not as significant.