Author Topic: Traffic Selection by Vlan  (Read 7719 times)

obroni

• View Profile
Traffic Selection by Vlan
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »
I'm just wondering if there is anyway you can do traffic selection based on vlan tag instead of just IP range?

I would like investigate the use of wanos in a scenario where a core install could be used to accelerate several isolated networks on different vlans, some of which may have conflicting IP ranges.

I'm guessing iptables is being used somewhere in this product to filter the traffic and believe iptables supports filtering by vlan tag.

Nick

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Selection by Vlan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
Hi Nick,

It would be technically be possible to create such a feature that inspects/filters based on vlan tags. Would a Core VM for each client/overlapping address space not work for your scenario?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:44:24 PM by ahenning »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

obroni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:16 PM »
Hi Ahenning,

That is a possibility, it was more to do with keeping the network design simple and reliable. I would imagine the only other way would be to use some sort of PVST config, to either direct traffic to bypass or go through the WanOS box, as the vlans are all tagged on the same ports.

I'm also a little bit wary in that if something was ever done wrong during the configuration a loop could be created and in a remote DC this could be a big problem if the flood of traffic disrupts management. Having one box where you choose the vlans you want to process seems safer in this respect.

Nick

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
Hi Nick,

The concept of optimizing certain vlans while bypassing other vlans with a PVST config is actually quite clever. Like it and agree its probably something that needs to be done with a lot of care and consideration. Which is true for all bridged in-path wanop devices though.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:50:45 AM by ahenning »

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »

Update Edit v.3.0.4: Wanos now supports trunk interfaces/VLANs transparently. The VLAN tags are not used as classification criteria though, so overlapping address space is still seen as the same site. Wan0 management address is by default in the native untagged VLAN, but can also be assigned to be in a specific VLAN.