Author Topic: Hardware Compatibility  (Read 9538 times)

mcooper06

• View Profile
Hardware Compatibility
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »

I have an HP workstation that boots the OS correctly - the two NICs that I have are Linux compatible - one for sure seems detected.  I can't seem to get to the web interface though no matter what I try.

If both NICs are the same, I assume then that driver is compatible.

Thoughts?

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
Interesting yes, if both NIC's are exactly the same, then the driver should be ok. Is it possible that one of the interface cards needs a reset in the slot? Also try reset to defaults with /etc/wanos/clean.sh (Needed when MAC addresses change)

Troubleshooting commands:
ifconfig tun0
# If this is up and showing 192.168.1.200 it means everything booted up correctly. To access the GUI a PC is needed on the same 192.168.1.0/24 range or change the address from the cli with 'wanos-cfg'

ifconfig lan0
ifconfig wan0
# To check that the interfaces have been detected

/etc/wanos/wanos-log
# Maybe more info there

Very rarely it is needed to reinitialize the Ethernet drivers e.g. if the driver is bnx2 the following commands would reset the driver: 'rmmod bnx2 && modprobe bnx2'
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

mcooper06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
I ran the clean.sh script - upon reboot, I can ifconfig each interface and see them.  The tun0 interface does in fact have the 192.168.1.200 address.  I was able to ping that interface - and it replied, but only once, then never again.

C:\Users\mac>ping 192.168.1.200

Pinging 192.168.1.200 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.200: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.200:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Very strange.

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
Yes, very strange indeed. Did the switch perhaps disable the ports?
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

mcooper06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
I don't think the switches I am using are sophisticated enough to do so.

If I have both NICs in the box but only the lan0 cabled to a cheap unmanaged switch, and then connect my laptop to that switch (to isolate the wanOS box from my production LAN, it should still boot fine - correct?

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Yes, just ensure both have a link connect somewhere, so the second interface can connect to anything, just to give an 'up' operational state.

mcooper06

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
All is well. 

I totally isolated the wanOS box and had no trouble getting in.  I then re-IP'd it to our normal LAN subnet and reconnected it to the LAN and can get in fine.

Your software is fine, apparently something on my LAN is not - kudos to you and thank you for the assistance.  Hopefully I can return the favor sometime.

Michael

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »
Great, thanks for the feedback Michael. This question gets asked frequently so I am sure this thread will help someone else as well.

mcooper06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Our "Lab" is now up and running.  Our config is:

Me > Switch > WanOS-Core > Switch < WanOS-Edge < Switch < Rest of our LAN

Our WanOS boxes are both:

HP PC's
Core2 Duo Processors @ 1.86Ghtz;
4GB RAM
120GB SATA Solid State Drives at 3Gbps

I am still running the default image at this time, so not using the full disk yet, but hope to figure this out soon.  My Linux skills are less than stellar but growing.

Michael

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:18:24 PM by mcooper06 »

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »
That is a pretty neat setup with those SSD disks. Since your machine is connected to the Core, you can run a file or FTP server and test from the rest of the lan. Also, since both Core and Edge connect to the switch at 100Mbps-1Gbps the WAN simulation feature might come in handy to 'see' the difference with optimization on and off.

mcooper06

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »

My initial binary FTP file from the core side to the edge side took 1251 seconds.  Deleted the file and repeated the exact same file and it took 544 seconds!

I hadn't throttled the port to 1Mbps yet though.  Is doing that just so you are positive that the difference is 100% attributable to the devices and not random other bottlenecks such as disk I/O at either end?

AND.. as a second question.. should I see as much optimization from the Edge end going towards the core?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:32:05 PM by mcooper06 »

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:01:17 PM »
Yes, throttling down to 1 Mbps is just to make sure everything is ok in a lab environment. Some users want to visually see the throughput improvement e.g. 1 - 1.5 Mbps on the first pass and 4-10 Mbps on the second.

In the current version Edge -> Core optimization is not enabled yet. This will be enabled in the Wanos Plus version. That said most network traffic is asymmetrical or in other words users consume more data than they produce (normally), so for the majority this would be ok. The benefit for larger deployments is that the edges only need entry level CPU resources which lowers the access barrier. The Core needs about 10 times more CPU resources (which would be the same when optimization is enabled on the edge as well).