Author Topic: Testing WANOS - Single Appliance  (Read 9970 times)

llcentinelall

• View Profile
Testing WANOS - Single Appliance
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »
Hello everyone !!

I am new using WANOS, I find it very interesting !!!

I just implemented WANOS on a PC in bridge mode, my topology is as follows:

ISP router:
IP: 192.168.1.1
l
l
Ethernet cable
l
l
WANOS (PC Server)
IP: 192.168.1.200
DG: 192.168.1.1
l
l
Ethernet cable
l
l
LAN (Client PC)
IP: 192.168.1.75
DG: 192.168.1.1

The steps to implement WANOS were the following:

1- Download the ISO
2- I wrote it on my USB with Win32
3- I connect it to my PC, then start from my USB.
4- Connect the WAN interface to my router (My pc has 2 ethernet interfaces)
5- Connect the client PC to the LAN interface of WANOS

Is it okay with the way I have implemented WANOS? My client PC has internet access without any problem.

However I would like to know how I can test the optimization or would like to know what I have to configure to be able to test WANOS to the maximum

Thank you !!

Edit: subject added with "single appliance"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:38:48 PM by ahenning »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Testing WANOS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
Hi,

Two appliances are required: One on each side of the WAN link. Considering this it will not be possible to test Wanos in the current topology connected to a general internet link as a sole appliance.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

llcentinelall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »
Hi,

Two appliances are required: One on each side of the WAN link. Considering this it will not be possible to test Wanos in the current topology connected to a general internet link as a sole appliance.

Thank you for your response, however it has not been entirely clear to me.

"Two devices are required: one on each side of the WAN link"

What do you mean with that? I only have a WAN link in my network.

Please help me !

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Two means one wanos appliance on each side of the link e.g:

Server-A <---> Wanos-A <---> Wide Area Network Link <---> Wanos-B <---> Workstation-B

In the topology mentioned in the first post, the Wan Optimization part of Wanos can't function as they work in pairs. Think of it as one side compress the data and the second one decompress the data after it has been received over the WAN link.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

llcentinelall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

Server-A <---> Wanos-A <---> Wide Area Network Link <---> Wanos-B <---> Workstation-B

In the topology mentioned in the first post, the Wan Optimization part of Wanos can't function as they work in pairs. Think of it as one side compress the data and the second one decompress the data after it has been received over the WAN link.

Perfect !! Agradesco your answer, however I was born some doubts:

1- Do I have to make any additional configuration for the WANOS optimization to work?

2- I simply download the image of wanos. Is there an expiration date for this version? Or I can use it permanently.

3- Continuing your example, If there is an IP Sec tunnel between Server-A and Workstation-B, will the WANOS optimization work?

Thank you !!

lmolina

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:24 AM »
Greetings,

1. As explained above, a minimum of two Wanos appliances configured in bridge type are needed for WAN Optimization to work.
2. If the images you downloaded came from the official download page http://wanos.co/wan-optimization/download/ then you are free to evaluate it. If you need test thoroughly, email info@wanos.co.
3. Here's a link to Single appliance setup. http://wanos.co/docs/docs/frequently-asked-questions/single-appliance/ These are the features availale in this setup. You can create an IPSec tunnel setup but as long as Item 1 is not satisfied then you may not be able to get WAN Optimization.

You may also refer to our documentation online. http://wanos.co/docs/

Perfect !! Agradesco your answer, however I was born some doubts:

1- Do I have to make any additional configuration for the WANOS optimization to work?

2- I simply download the image of wanos. Is there an expiration date for this version? Or I can use it permanently.

3- Continuing your example, If there is an IP Sec tunnel between Server-A and Workstation-B, will the WANOS optimization work?

Thank you !!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:56:57 AM by lmolina »
MCP

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see wanos.co/docs for more recent info.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Testing WANOS - Single Appliance
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »
Just to add:

1) In lab setup using v.3 in bridge mode then the only absolute requirement is IP address and wan0 cables connected to the wan network. No other config is absolutely required to get optimization to work.
2) v.3 yes. The default Express license does not expire.
3) If there is an IPsec tunnel between the server and workstation then no optimization would not work. Traffic between server and workstation should be plain TCP type of traffic. IPsec between router-A and router-B is ok

llcentinelall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Just to add:

1) In lab setup using v.3 in bridge mode then the only absolute requirement is IP address and wan0 cables connected to the wan network. No other config is absolutely required to get optimization to work.
3) If there is an IPsec tunnel between the server and workstation then no optimization would not work. Traffic between server and workstation should be plain TCP type of traffic. IPsec between router-A and router-B is ok

I get it,

I will be testing in my real scenario and I will be reporting the results

Thank you very much !!

llcentinelall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Just to add:

I get it,

I will be testing in my real scenario and I will be reporting the results

Thank you very much !!

Today I hope to carry out the tests, however I have some doubts regarding your aggregations:

1- "In lab setup using v.3 in bridge mode then the only absolute requirement is IP address and wan0 cables connected to the network .No other config is absolutely required to get optimization to work."

My scenario is the following:

-Site Server:
The router has a public ip

-Site Workstation
The router has a private ip (NAT 3).

Wanos will work under this scenario?

2- v.3 yes. The default Express license does not expire.

This is perfect !!!

3- "If there is an IPsec tunnel between the server [/ b] and workstation [/ b] then no [/ b] optimization would not work. TCP type of traffic. IPsec between router-A and router-B is ok "

Continuing with my Scenario:

-Site Server:
Here I have a Firewwall connected from under the router

-Site WorkStation:
Here I have a Firewall connected from under the Router

Both Firewall establish an IPSec tunnel, in certain occasions I use SSL.

- Under this scenario, should I connect WANOS on top of my Firewall? or low
- In this way will WANOS work?

I wait for your help.

Thank you very much !!!

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
Yes, its fine, so it will look like this:

Server-A <---> Wanos-A <---> Firewall-A <---> IPSec <---> Firewall-B <---> Wanos-B <---> Workstation-B

If the Firewalls are doing strict filtering, please see the Firewall FaQ for ports and protocols that need to be opened

llcentinelall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
Yes, its fine, so it will look like this:

Server-A <---> Wanos-A <---> Firewall-A <---> IPSec <---> Firewall-B <---> Wanos-B <---> Workstation-B

If the Firewalls are doing strict filtering, please see the Firewall FaQ for ports and protocols that need to be opened
hands to work then !!! Thank you so much !!!!!!! I will be publishing the results here.

lmolina

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
MCP

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see wanos.co/docs for more recent info.