Author Topic: FTP throughput drops to 118kB/s from 1 MB/s if client WANOS device removed  (Read 6273 times)

saurabh

• View Profile
Hi,

I am running below scenario in LAB in bridged mode:

LAN -> WANOS (HQ) -> Router <-> Router ->WANOS (Branch) -> LAN

Note:- There is IPSec tunnel between edge routers.

In this deployment scenario I am getting 1 MB/s throughput (due to express license), but when I removed WANOS from Branch Office and configure WANOS-HQ for Pass through traffic, FTP throughput drops to 118 KB/s. Is there any configuration which I should take care?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:46:39 AM by saurabh »

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FTP throughput drops to 118kB/s from 1 MB/s if client WANOS device removed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Hi,

This sounds like the expected behavior.

1) With Wanos deployed correctly at both ends the throughput is 1MB/s (or 10Mbps) which is 10x the speed without Wanos 118KB/s (1Mbits/s)
2) Removing one side will ensure the remote end does not continue compressing traffic, since the decompressor is no longer in the network. This is why the traffic is showing pass-through as expected and also why the traffic is no longer optimized and running at the line rate 118KB/s (I take it the line rate is either set on the routers or on Wanos with a Global WAN TX rate config)

I think your setup is 100% except maybe upgrade to v.4
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

saurabh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »
Hi,

Throughput end to end without WANOS device in any end is 10 MB/s.
If WANOS device is deployed at both ends, similar drop in throughput is observed with HTTP traffic.
Is there free/evaluation license for v.4?

JohnNicholas

• Team Wanos
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
Sounds like the setup is working as expected. 10Mbps with optimization, 1Mbps without optimization - so there is definitely a 1 Mbps rate set on either Wanos via the global tx shaper or on the WAN routers.

With express in pass through and no shapers, the copy speed would be 100Mbps if latency is low and no loss.
CCNA

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
Yes, trial licenses for v.4 are available
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

saurabh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
May be I am not able to explain.. Let me elaborate the scenario.
I have a LAB setup as shown below:
LAN -> WANOS (HQ) -> Router <-> Router ->WANOS (Branch) -> LAN

I ran 4 test cases.
1. FTP traffic, LAN to LAN, WANOS at both ends, Throughput 10 Mbps
2. FTP traffic, LAN to LAN, remove WANOS from Branch, Throughput 1Mbps
3. FTP traffic, LAN to LAN, remove WANOS from HQ also, Throughput 100 Mbps
4. HTTP traffic, LAN to LAN, WANOS at both ends, Throughput 1 Mbps

As per my understanding, WANOS v3 is of express license, so throughput will decrease to 1/10 i.e 10 Mbps, which is working fine. But as soon as I remove WANOS device from Branch, throughput drops to 1 Mbps. It should not drop.

Similarly, with HTTP traffic, throughput in first run is 10 Mbps, but if we download same file again, it drops to 1 Mbps.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
I think this has been answered accurately: Wanos would not by default in software limit the pass-through to 1 Mbps. There is either some configuration e.g. the WAN Tx rate set to 1000 Kbps or a setting on the router. If it is not set by software configuration, then the next step is to look at the hardware level, maybe some USB-Ethernet adapters are used, or half duplex settings, or some rate limit setting on ESXi vNIC, but surely there is a rate limit somewhere to cause the 1 Mbps throughput. Even with optimization enabled and throughput at 10 Mbps, that is the end to end throughput, the actual WAN bandwidth used after optimization is likely still 1 Mbps.

That said, in a lab setting, this is desirable, as in the lab it is essential to see the acceleration (10 Mbps) compared to pass-through (1 Mbps).
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys