Author Topic: PLR Feature  (Read 4409 times)

aels

• Express
    • View Profile
PLR Feature
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
Hi A henning,

I want to know, are PLR (Packet Loss Recovery) only work if I'm using IPCOMP encapsulation and using routing in network without NAT to reach peer in other side?
Or whether PLR can work also in UDP encapsulation?

And if when I first connect to the server in the main office and copy one file, the optimization is not running and only in passthrough and wanos only do byte-cache reading ?, later when doing a second connection will be new optimized?

Thanks
Aels

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PLR Feature
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »
Hi Aels,

PLR works in either IPComp or UDP. Note though if you have some NAT configurations that in v.3 some PLR control packets between the appliances are IPComp encapsulated whether UDP encapsulation is enabled or not.

The first file copy, gets compression and deduplication. Since it is the first time to see the file, byte-cache/deduplication hits are low because it is still learning the file. On the second transfer the hit ratio is high, since it is mostly the same file.

Depending on data type, Byte-Caching cold compression ratio (first copy) is similar to stream compression, since even in a cold transfer there are duplicate "words" that can be removed. As the dictionary of words (datastore) grows, the higher the cold compression hit ratio.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs