Author Topic: Bridge mode  (Read 6426 times)

alexandrel

• View Profile
Bridge mode
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
Hi,

I try to set up a LAB (Workstation 12) with 2 wanos in bridge mode. But I don't understand in which segment I need to put my 2 routers. Like that ?
WAN=10.0.0.0/24 lan=192.168.0.0/24
<-lan-> "WANOS-HQ" <-WAN-> "R-HQ" <-WAN-> "R-SRV" <-WAN-> "WANOS-SRV" <-> lan ?
And if it's so, WANOS IP need to be in like 192.168.0.200 ?

Thanks you,

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge mode
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
For a lab setup just use one router or no routers at all.

E.g: One router would just need one interface with two IP addresses e.g.: 10.0.0.1 and secondary address 192.168.0.1

A Linux router can be setup on most flavors with just three commands:
ifconfig eth0    10.0.0.1/24
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.1/24
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

Then the two Wanos wan0 interfaces are placed in the same segment as the router eth0.

Lastly Workstation 12 would not be the first choice for testing, unless it is the only option available.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

alexandrel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
For a lab setup just use one router or no routers at all.
Ok, with one router.
Then the two Wanos wan0 interfaces are placed in the same segment as the router eth0
These wan0 interfaces are configured with the help of wanos-cfg ? Because when I start it, it's say :"Enter new Ip address". Which one, LAN or WAN ?
In the web interface I can configure the WAN interface but by default he has the default lan address 192.168.1.200/24 and I cannot found any way to configure LAN interface by Web.

I create a schema to help me, it is correct ?

I think I have misunderstanding how wanos works.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
Yes, there is a bit of a confusion on bridge mode:

How it works

Bridge mode is the default and most widely deployed due to its simplicity. In bridge mode the Wanos appliance works as a two port switch. The lan0 and wan0 ports have no IP addresses and the management IP address can be accessed via either lan0 or wan0 port. In bridge mode the appliance is placed inline between the WAN side e.g. router or firewall and the LAN side e.g. Switch. The bridge passes traffic transparently through and does not require any routing changes on the network.

More info and images on:
http://wanos.co/docs/docs/wanos-admin-guide/deployment/bridge-mode/

wanos-cfg sets the management IP address. wan0 and lan0 have no IP addresses like on a switch.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

alexandrel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Thx for the recall and your explanations. I finaly set up correctly and it's works just fine now I found enough ressources on a ESXi for that and forget about workstation.

So in ESXi closed environment can I use 2 routers (pfSense or simply CentOS as router) for my LAB test looks like more at a HQ and his branch ? With router mode maybe ? In which case it is used ?

With my new schema, if on my router-Branch, I redirect * WAN to wan0 192.168.11.1 and * LAN to wan0 192.168.11.2 of wanos.
Wanos-Branch gateway 192.168.11.254
Router-Branch add route to HQ-LAN by router-HQ (10.0.0.254)

and pretty same conf on the other side, it's correct ?

Sorry to ask many question, it's for study purpose (technological report)

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
Because its for study purposes I would recommend to just stick to bridge mode at both side. Keep it simple. In this case no redirects, special routing, etc needed.