Author Topic: Issues with initial Setup  (Read 5305 times)

laoistom

• View Profile
Issues with initial Setup
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new here and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the setup for WANOS.

At the most basic level here is my issue :

I have an extremely basic network (192.168.100.0/24)

I have 3 machines on this network and the router (pfsense) is configured on 192.168.100.254

Now my understanding of how WANOS works is it is inserted into the network between my switch and the PFSense router in bridge mode so it is able to see all traffic destined to leave the network.

In all the documentation it is explicitly stated that the LAN and WAN interfaces on WANOS are NOT to be connected to the same LAN segment. Considering this how then am I supposed to connect the WANOS in my network. In order for all of my devices to be able to reach the gateway the WANOS appliance will have to pass the traffic through essentially putting both interfaces on the same network Segment.

If anyone has a few pointers for me on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Laoistom

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with initial Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »
Hi,

Yes, that is correct. This means to avoid connecting wan0 and lan0 to the same LAN or VLAN. To be more precise a switch that does not run spanning-tree. Wanos is a two port switch. The same care when connecting a switch to the network must be taken when connecting Wanos.

To recap yes, the pfSense needs to connect to the wan0 side and the rest of the network to the lan0 side. This could be simply to connect the pfSense directly into the wan0 port and lan0 into the switch.

Alternatively, when connecting both lan0 and wan0 to the same switch: wan0 and pfSense could be connected to a VLAN X and the rest of the network and lan0 can remain in the default current VLAN. The Wanos switch then becomes a Layer2 gateway for traffic between the LAN and the WAN.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

laoistom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
@ahenning thank you for the clarification. So when the guide states not to connect LAN0 and WAN0 to the same network segment it means not to connect them to the same side of the network segment. Make sure that the only way for traffic to flow is through the WANOS appliance and not in a loop.

I'll give it another go then. Thanks for the quick reply.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
Pleasure!
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs