Author Topic: Its Alive!  (Read 6481 times)

eswanson

• View Profile
Its Alive!
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
Well it has been running a few hours on my wireless network at home, not much going on really except some media streaming and small file downloading, but here it is so far. It has been on and off a few times because I have been playing with it so its not totally accurate so far. One question though, I am only running this as a single site location right now behind a pfsense firewall. Is it still optimizing in edge mode with no core on the other end? I am a bit confused on that aspect. Thanks !

System specs
Dell Riverbed Steelhead 1020
dual core cpu
2gb ram
500gb internal sata HDD

edit: outdated v0.x dashboard
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:54:52 AM by ahenning »

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Its Alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:09:41 AM »
Without the Core, the Edge is just happily passing traffic through. The few Mb's detected as saved is probably a false positive due to traffic generated from accessing the GUI. A minimum of two appliances are required to get optimization going. If you have another appliance, you could connect the Core and Edge back to back as an initial test.
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

eswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
Ah ok, I have a few steelheads laying around also just acquired some newer model websense v-5000 appliances I am going to reconfigure for this. Thanks for info.

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
Pleasure... thanks for the great feedback. When connecting the appliances back to back without a WAN, the WAN Simulation can be enabled. This rate limits the wan0 interface to 1 Mbps, which is useful in a lab to see the difference with optimization enabled/disabled.
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

chriscarr

• New
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
So the Edge will not do anything by itself. I was hoping that it could act as a standalone cache server.
Would it then work with both Edge and Core locally connected together, to achieve full bit caching?

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »
Hi, yes, for it to work both devices are needed, since deduplication works on a database of bit patterns. Essentially only the database references are sent over the WAN, and the receiving end knows how to recreate the original data. Having both at the same site is ok as a lab to test, but for a production network all traffic is still going to be sent over the WAN/VPN/Internet, so a device on the remote site is needed.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys