Author Topic: QoS/Shapping with one box  (Read 8424 times)

sacha.yunusic

• View Profile
QoS/Shapping with one box
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
Hi,
I'm testing a new WanOS virtual box (only one), and I want to do shapping on my traffic. This is my lab scenario:
Virtual_PC --- WANOS --- LAN ---- Internet
If I drop traffic, works fine, but if I try to do shapping (on Rxtraffic), nothing happened.
My rules was: source 0.0.0.0/0, dst 0.0.0.0/0, tcp-21, shape 10kbps
Is there any way to make this work?

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: QoS/Shapping with one box
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi Sacha,

Currently the whole Wanos QoS logic is designed around having two appliances. In this normal case, it is always better to shape the traffic as close as possible to the source. With this in mind Wanos does not shape/QoS inbound (Wan RX) traffic.

With the one appliance deployment, there is not another appliance to shape the traffic at the source. The lan0/wan0 can be swapped to achieve the required behavior I think you might be looking for.

We are currently implementing Layer7 QoS, which I think will be useful to have the QoS and shaping in both directions. We'll keep the standalone single appliance in mind for L7 QoS.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

sacha.yunusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
I guessed that only works Tx traffic, so I try to switch interfaces. Even it says they were switched, nothing happened (I can tell because the MAC still in the same place), and in logs this is what I see: "Error : Configured WAN0 Interface not found (00:50:56:95:76:c2".
Here is the whole log: https://paste.fedoraproject.org/357023/
Any thoughts?

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
Hi Sacha,

The interfaces can be changed by editing: "vi /tce/etc/mactab"

Alternatively update to v.3.0.3

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

lmolina

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
Just in case you were looking on how to update Wanos, please refer to the article below:

Software Update
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:29:41 PM by lmolina »
MCP

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see wanos.co/docs for more recent info.

sacha.yunusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
I upgrade it to 3.0.3 and everything worked fine.
I tried one rule with low priority, another with shaping (and seems to work), and another with drop and also seems to work, but my question is: Where can I see the dropping statistics? In Network -- QoS Classes doesn't appear anything about the dropping.
PS: After doing this tests I still see the Peer Status as "down", even I see traffic in the QoS Classes section in the different classes I created (any different than 0 and 17).

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »
Peer status will be down if there is only one device.

Regarding the graph for dropped traffic, that is a good point. Currently the graph is polling traffic processed, but since the traffic is dropped, there is nothing to graph. We can take a look at adding a counter for dropped traffic.