Author Topic: VMWARE install  (Read 7686 times)

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
VMWARE install
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
Hi,

I did the complete setup for a basic OVA deployment on two servers, I assigned two NICs to each one instance. The only config change was the IP address/gateway and WAN speed (15). The LAN and WAN are configured correctly and using the correct ports. At first I had very inconsistent results. I even completely reset it and couldn't get it to work. When it would pass traffic through the WAN it could experience high latency (2-3 seconds) even when only pulling up the WANOS admin page.

So I re-deployed the OVA from scratch on both systems and I got it to work (hit 1250K WAN cap). I reset the original OVA and still could not get it to work even matching the same config and interfaces. So I moved the MAC addresses to the new working instance, it wouldn't start because of the reserved MAC addresses in another VM. So I deleted the original VM, that of course failed still due to the reserved MAC. I am looking for a way to force the MAC in vmware to connect it with the license. Setting it manually doesn't work in VMWARE.

I have the new instance working, just not licensed. I am passing traffic through the complete system to an end device. The problem seems to be that I am unable to reach the admin page on the far WANOS box. I noticed that if I initiate a ping from the WANOS server to my PC, it pings and then my PC sees the WANOS MAC/IP, Then I can ping/login to the admin page. This is all on the same subnet. I'll try to reproduce this tomorrow.

I only need promiscuous mode on the Network Interface and not the switch under VMWARE correct?

Config:
ROUTER @ 192.168.76.1/24
               -
               -LAN PORT
WANOS @ 196.168.76.2/24
               - WAN PORT
               -   
               -WAN PORT
WANOS @ 192.168.76.3/24
               -LAN PORT
               -
Endpoint - 192.168.76.10 (VMWARE SERVER ADMIN)

I am running ESXI 6.

Some of my original issues may have been due to expecting it to show it had an active peer with only a WAN connection. Without an end device to pass traffic through the whole system it doesn't show an active peer even if you are passing traffic to the far WANOS device.

Do you know of a way to force the MAC or just re-license?

Thanks

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VMWARE install
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
Hi Dan,

Yes, promiscuous mode on the port level is recommended. It sounds like a loop was formed on the first install. This can happen when the bridge ports are connected to the same port-group or when the physical NIC's are connected to the same VLAN on the physical switch.

Yes, some end to end traffic is required to trigger the peers to come up. A lack of traffic signals that the peer could be offline and wanos will then put the peer into bypass to ensure compressed traffic is not sent the the end systems. In other words, when the peers goes offline the end system traffic is not affected. The default peer time out is 30 seconds. Peer detection is instant on the first TCP syn packet received.

I sent an email regarding the keys.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:34 AM »
Thanks Antonie.

The issue I had was with an assumption that the global wan tx rate was in Mbps instead of Kbps. Setting it to 15 doesn't work so well 8).

I have it running but I seem to be unable to get packet loss recovery working. If you link is very clean should I just leave it off? 

I have it setup out-of-band bridged through two ports on a Mikrotik. I do have an IP address configured on each end on the inside of the WAN connection (between the WANOS units). The IPs are just to communicate with the remote side if the WANOS server fails. Do I need to bypass those IPs also?

Thanks,

- Dan

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
If it's encrypted or Interactive as defined in the traffic policies it will be bypassed. Will the connection still benefit from TCP acceleration? If not how can I modify those two traffic policies?

Thanks,

- Dan

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Hi Dan,

PLR can be disabled by not setting the remote peer ip in MultiSite. The default is off and it is recommended to thoroughly test this feature before leaving it "on". Stream compression and TCP acceleration depends on PLR status to be on. On 2.6.2 we have identified that PLR does not yet work optimally when the link is >=50 Mbps over >=600ms. If PLR is disabled then the Global shaper is also not required. The global rate indicates to PLR what the target rate is and helps to distinguish between unexpected loss and congestion.

Encrypted/Interactive apps can be edited under /tce/etc/wanos/groupobjects. Soft service reset to apply.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
Hi Antonie,

Just to clarify, it doesn't do TCP acceleration when bypassing? So I should edit those entries to take advantage of it? I know users want to watch facebook videos over satellite and they are all HTTPS. Without acceleration they won't download fast enough due to latency.

Thanks again,

- Dan

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
Hi Dan,

Yes, that is correct.

I think somewhere in the future we should make the traffic policies slightly more granular to make it possible to select/deselect the optimizations e.g. PLR, Compression, Dedup. In this case a few of the current bypassed protocols could simply have dedup and/or compression deselected.