Author Topic: Installing. (Network Card not detected)  (Read 12683 times)

eswanson

• View Profile
Installing. (Network Card not detected)
« on: March 09, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
I am currently trying to install on a old lenovo thinkcentre workstation. So far I have been able to get it onto the local HD by copying the .img file to the HD and booting it, everything worked except I notice when it loads into the tinylinux it turns the onboard NIC off, the second nic I have installed is lit up but not showing up in my firewall as detected. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:24:05 PM by Wanos »

Wanos

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Installing.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Yes, it seems that the onboard nic is not detected, hence the bridging is not coming online. This is driver related. If you have the exact specs of the onboard nic, it might be possible to revive it.

Note: Try to use Intel based NICs when possible.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:39:30 PM by Wanos »
Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
Alternatively adding a third network interface or a USB ethernet adapter could also work. It is also a good idea to reset to defaults with '/etc/wanos/clean.sh' when changing network interfaces.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

eswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Wow fast response, the computer I am currently trying to use is a lenovo thinkcentre mt-m 7522. Not sure exact specs of the nic.
- tried a usb nic I had laying around it did not work at first.
- Then did ./clean.sh and it worked, I can now get to the webgui at .200.
- Now I just need to get it all working so I can see if this is a deplorable solution for work :)

eswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Ok, so now I got it working but when I plug in the "lan" side connection I get errors.
here is the log. Hope it helps, I am also goign to test this on other devices to see if I get similar results.

wanos.click:7: While initializing 'lan0 :: FromDevice':
  warning: lan0: no IPv4 address assigned
wanos.click:6: While initializing 'wan0 :: FromDevice':
  warning: wan0: no IPv4 address assigned
DropBroadcasts: dropped a packet
Sun Mar 9 14:51:39 UTC 2014  : Routine : Initializing Startup Scripts
Sun Mar 9 14:51:39 UTC 2014  : No suitable LAN0 interface found
Sun Mar 9 14:51:39 UTC 2014  : Routine: Checking Configs
Sun Mar 9 14:51:39 UTC 2014  : Routine : Config exists
Sun Mar 9 14:51:39 UTC 2014  : Routine : Initializing Wanos Click
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:51:58 AM by ahenning »

eswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
It appears it is the computer I was using, the lenovo thinkcentre, it was not agreeing with wanos for some reason. I switched to a riverbed steelhead 1020 and it started correctly, and detected all nic's. SO I will play around using this, as at my work we are looking for a solution to replace a bunch of steelheads and websense box's with some sort of wan optimization.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Ok, yes, unexpected errors there. I'll take a look into it to see if it is possible to provide a better description. Any feedback from testing would also go a long way in improving the solution. What would you consider key features/functionality?

A note on the Riverbed (and similar) appliances, there have been a number of requests to enable the bypass NIC. Depending on the model this may be possible.

eswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
Well I am not sure what I am looking for, a few months back I was tasked with finding a opensource solution to lowering cost / effectiveness of our network. I work at a hospital and we are a non-profit orginization and as you know times are tuff. I came a across some solutions but non that worked reliably or with our old equipment, so far this one is working. As for what I would like to see, everything so far is great.. except I had issues with installing it, I coudl eb doing this wrong, but to be able to boot from a usb and install directly to a HDD was giving me issues, I had to use the win32 disk image to dump to a external HDD then image that external HDD to a internal HDD using norton ghost was how I solved it, other than that all seems good. It is up and running on my home network using the riverbed, I will let it be for a few days and see how it performs.

As for the bypass card working, that would be excellent! Let me know what you need to know about the appliance. Thanks for your help too.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »
Good point about the installation. I agree, it is a bit tricky to get going. Many of these network appliances don't have CD-Rom's, but perhaps an external  CD-Rom is still a better option to get the install on disk than using dd/win32disk imager.

I could be wrong but I think the 1020's are dell 850 machines, so the network interface could possibly be something like a Dell CH833 (Silicom MPB-PXG2BPI). This card model would be the first step to see if it would be possible.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:03:08 PM by ahenning »

pchin

• View Profile
Re: Installing. (Network Card not detected)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 04:10:27 AM »
Followed this thread; I ran into similar error (enclosed).  My hardware is Lenovo ThinkServer TS140.  Can anyone share some suggestion?  Thank you.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Installing. (Network Card not detected)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
The "No IPv4 address assigned" warning is not an error. The wan0 and lan0 are in fact 802.1q trunk interfaces and have no IP Addresses.