Author Topic: WANOS OVA/VHD differences  (Read 7532 times)

ipconfigrenew

• View Profile
WANOS OVA/VHD differences
« on: April 08, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
Been using WANOS 2.0.5 on ESXi and Hyper-V using the OVA and VHD downloads.

I noticed there are a significant number of differences between these images.
OVA Image:
Core 5.3
kernel 3.8.13-tinycore #2511 SMP Fri Oct 18 14:41:41 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux
Max memory: 3113688 (~3,041MB)
Includes modules:
- vmxnet3/vmw_pvscsi (VMware drivers)
- hv_netvsc/hv_storvsc (Hyper-V drivers)

VHD Image:
Core 4.7.7
kernel 3.0.21-tinycore #3021 SMP Sat Feb 18 11:54:11 EET 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
Max memory: 4009116KB (~3,915MB)
Includes modules:
- vmxnet3/vmw_pvscsi (VMware drivers)
Does NOT include:
hv_netvsc/hv_storvsc (Hyper-V drivers)

So the VHD image seems very out of date, at least relative to the OVA image. It seems especially strange that the Hyper-V drivers are included in the OVA image but not in the VHD image (where it would actually be used). I'm going to try converting the OVA image to a VHD and running it on Hyper-V, but before I tried that I wanted to know if there was a specific reason for the differences.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WANOS OVA/VHD differences
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
Yes, Core 5.3 had issues on hyper-v. The only reason the base was updated was to support more recent hardware architecture for the bare metal install.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

pippipmilk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
@ipconfigrenew

Did you convert the OVA?  Did it work?  Did it have a synthetic NIC?

@ahenning

Have the Hyper-V issues been resolved in tinycore 6.3?  Are you planning to put together a version that runs on Hyper-V with the full drivers?

I see CoreOS is "endorsed" by MS to run on Azure - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-endorsed-distributions/.  Debian also works well - https://vmdepot.msopentech.com

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Hi,

Hyper-V requires Legacy network adapters with mac spoofing enabled.

Regarding base OS, we are looking at a few options with CentOS and maybe Ubuntu the front runners at the moment. There is not a very urgent burning need to change though since microcore 32-bit and 64-bit has proved to be extremely robust. Stability is most important. The only drawback is that the packages are not maintained for older releases. There is also an element of user preference in that CentOS or Ubuntu are perceived superior, but Wanos runs fairly independent from the tools that give them their unique Linux flavor. If we redesigned a base Linux distro from scratch, it would be much like the bare essentials microcore but that is also compatible with a debian or centos package manager for easy updates (as well as easy compatibility with Amazon AWS and similar)

Note: Starting from Wanos 2.6.2 onwards, standard Network adapters on Hyper-V should be used. Legacy adapters should be avoided.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:31:19 AM by lmolina »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

lmolina

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »
2.6.2 OVA and VHD uses the same MicroCore base. Hyper-V drivers are included. With this Wanos release, the default Network Adapter should be used and the Legacy Network adapter should be avoided.
MCP

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see wanos.co/docs for more recent info.