Author Topic: Silicom Dual Port Gig Ethernet Adapter PXG2BPIG-JP  (Read 29692 times)

satburn

• View Profile
Re: Silicom Dual Port Gig Ethernet Adapter PXG2BPIG-JP
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 07:39:36 PM »
To confirm, it will boot off the SATA drives in the front.  I have the one on the left for WANOS and the one on the right for the database.  I'll do the other unit and do a bench trial.

Thank you again for all of your help!  Great product and support here!   8) 8) 8)

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
Pleasure, looking forward to the bench results. One bonus of the second drive bay is that it looks like a SSD upgrade in the future could be relatively simple to do.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

satburn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »
Test with 30MB file...

1st Pass:
1MB = 8Mbps

2nd Pass:
3MB = 21Mbps

We have a 20Mbps connection between sites, so not too bad... Our current solution is lucky to achieve 4Mbps.  The WXC 590 has 2 sockets, only 1 is filled right now, so there's room for improvement.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:35:47 PM by satburn »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 12:18:10 AM »
Mmm, it will be interesting to see what the usable normal operational throughput is going to be. As far as I can tell from docs online, the WXC 590 is a Supermicro board with Xeon CPU, but I am not sure which one to make a guesstimate of peak throughput.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

satburn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 12:55:08 AM »
I could pop off the heatsink and take a look...

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:56 AM »
Either way it should be capable of a lot more than the Express 6 Mbps up/outbound limit so when you are ready to test at higher rates we can load trial plus keys to remove the limit.

satburn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
FYI:  The WXC 590 has one of these processors in it, and 1 empty socket for an additional processor.  4GB of RAM as well.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27091/64-bit-Intel-Xeon-Processor-3_80-GHz-2M-Cache-800-MHz-FSB

It also has [2] 250GB SATA drives and a 1GB CompactFlash Card (mine did) with an IDE adapter inside.

satburn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
Couple of more pics just for clarity.  This unit is "supposed" to automatically turn on when power is applied.  I have found this to be a bit hit and miss.  On the outside of the unit, all you see is a power led, but when you open the case, there's a large block attached to the backside of the face plate.  Within this block are more leds for things like network activity, hard drive activity, etc.  Above those leds are two switches, one for power, one for restart.  When facing the unit, the left one is for power.  I drilled a 1/4" hole in the face plate to allow me access to it from the outside.

Pics of the JWD jumper location and pics of the sockets on the board added.

Thanks!

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
Great info, thanks for contributing.

That JWD jumper is a good catch. It took me a while to figure out the Expand Accelerator jumpers to get the bypass to co-operate but in the end the Expand works quite nice in that no software is required. The juniper hardware is better due to the dual core CPU (and possibility of a second CPU) and 4GB RAM. Based on CPU benchmarks of the early Xeon's I suspect the peak rate is going to be 40 Mbps throughput on cold transfers with all features enabled. Best case scenario in low or hot transfers will be in the region of 100 - 150 Mbps.

Realistically a sustainable wan rate of 20 Mbps in both directions might be a bit much. It would be interesting to see the bench results (considering adding something along those lines in the GUI to get an idea of hardware capability).