Author Topic: Adding WANOS to the mix w/queuing and caching  (Read 8603 times)

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
Adding WANOS to the mix w/queuing and caching
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Hi,

I wanted to discuss our topology and using the WANOS platform to improve the system.

This is the planned layout with WANOS:

INTERNET  -- MIKROTIK -- WANOS -- SATELLITE LINK 5MBPS RAW -- WANOS -- MIKROTIK/CACHE -- USERS

We have only deployed the cache and Mikrotik on the remote side of the link. We will soon have access to the earth station side of the link. We have @ 150 customers serviced through this system.

The Mikrotik provides each user with an even slice of the available bandwidth. Then each IP has each session in it's own queue to normalize latency across sessions (per IP). The plan is to have one Mikrotik shaping upload (remote site) and the other one shaping download (Internet side).

The 7TB cache server caches HTTP, Netflix, Windows updates, and Youtube (keeps it on HTTP for caching).

There is currently no TCP acceleration and your solution would surely be a huge improvement. I have a couple of questions regard the best way to deploy your system. This will only be a PTP link.

1. What is the best way to get maximum capable throughput with WANOS? Would adding a second SSD or more memory be useful?
2. In this configuration when a user overruns their queue packets will be dropped by the Mikrotik. Will packet loss recovery work in this situation or does packet loss recovery only benefit the WAN side between the two devices?
3. In the future we will be upgrading to 10Mbps/10Mbps (provider only sells symmetric BW). Will the ATOM processor or your appliance handle this at high optimization? Or should we just go with a more powerful processor? The express also says it does 6Mbps upload, does that mean it won't do any more than 6Mbps or will the rest just not be optimized?

Thanks for your time and what looks to be a very promising solution,

Best,

- Dan

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding WANOS to the mix w/queuing and caching
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
Hi DanMan,

The first thing that I notice is that the mikrotik router is on the lan side. Normally the routers are on the wan side. If the Mikrotik routers are creating a tunnel between each other then the topology might need a change so that they are on the wan side. This is because if there is a tunnel on the lan side, there is a good chance that Wanos will pass the traffic through or not be able to do much if its encrypted. That said we have similar satellite ISP setups and tunneling has not been required.

1) 5 Mbps is not much and you should be fine with min 2 CPU threads and standard HDD. 4 CPU threads are recommended and will provide an improvement, but basically nothing beyond 4 threads (due to the ptp link).
2) In the scenario with the Mikrotik on the lan, then yes, PLR would only be applied on the optimized packets processed by Wanos. If lots of drops are expected then having the Mikrotik on the lan is good (assuming no tunnel).
3) The ATOM D525/D2550 processor can handle upstream 10 Mbps with all features enabled, but it is not ideal. A higher spec CPU is recommended.

Yes, Express is limited to 6 Mbps of optimized traffic upstream. To stay below 6 Mbps of optimized traffic rate limit, a bypass rule can be created to pass-through some traffic. Pass-through traffic is not counted.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi Ahenning,

You are correct, it's a dedicated pipe so no need to tunnel. The Mikrotiks at each side are really just to make the most shaping and dropping packets on the "local" side of the transmitter. The WANOS will be setup between two ports on the Mikrotik so it can be taken out of band remotely if there is a problem.

After we get both sides running I'll run some performance tests and let you post the results.

- Dan

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »
Hi,

We are planning on this hardware:
SUPERMICRO SYS-5018A-FTN4 1U Rackmount Server Barebone
Intel Atom C2758 2.4GHz
CPU TDP 20W (8-Core)
With an SSD

My question in regard to throughput when using the express edition. With two units setup with express the Internet side would be able to use high optimization and send up to 60Mbps to the remote site. The remote site would be limited to 6Mbps optimized upload. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks,

- Dan

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
Hi Dan,

Express has a 6 Mbps wan outbound limit. The Internet side will be able to send at 6 Mbps to the remote site and receive 60 Mbps. The remote site would be limited to 6 Mbps send/up/outbound and receive/down/inbound at 60 Mbps.

Hardware limit wise the C2578 should be good for 10-12 Mbps up in a single remote site configuration and 30-40 Mbps in MultiSite scenario with SSD.

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

DanMan

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
Ok, I think I understand. So with two express units on a PTP setup it would be limited to 6Mbps WAN speed in both directions?

So to fully use the download side of 10Mbps of satellite bandwidth we would need at least one licensed version on the Internet side to send traffic at up to 10Mbps WAN speed? Would it then be possible to use an express unit at the other side to optimize only up to 6Mbps of the upload or does it require a license on the remote side also?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to clarify the costs they will be encountering.

Thanks,

- Dan

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Hi Dan,

Upgrades gets tricky since they'll be stuck with Express features, so down the line the client might feel like they got a downgrade and a bad deal, so we don't recommend it and will rather work something out to keep them happy. I sent an email with more info.

All good questions, np.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:45:46 PM by ahenning »