Author Topic: Error at boot from SSD on RS140  (Read 6572 times)

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
Error at boot from SSD on RS140
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
I wrote the wanos boot image from wanos-1.4.1.img using Win32diskimager and everything seemed to go well, but when I boot from the SSD on the RS140 system things seem to initialize until I get the error:
[Firmware Warn]: GHES: Failed to read error status block address for hardware error source: 1

That error just repeats every minute or so, boot never completes and I cannot get into the system

Even got the same error when I used clonezilla to image a VM to SSD.
Any ideas? I would like to run wanos on dedicated hardware vs ESXi + VM. Thanks.

To clarify, the system is a new Lenovo RS140 with an E3-1245 processor with 128GB SSD. (AHCI Mode)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:11:23 PM by Spiffster »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Error at boot from SSD on RS140
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »
Hi,

Edit for the archive: Please use version 2.0.0 which already contains the update

The HP DL320e G8 produces almost identical symptoms and to resolve it AHCI mode is needed with Raid disabled due to the specific HP drivers. Seems your setup is similar.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:52:27 AM by ahenning »
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
Great! I will give this a try later today and report back. Thanks!

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
OK, I downloaded the two files to the appropriate location using another linux box and the system boots to the login prompt. So thats progress! Strange thing is that I cannot ping any systems on the LAN after running wanos-cfg just as can I do successfully with the VM. Tried both ports and no dice. That may just require more investigation on my part, but this is just where I am stuck now.

For testing I will just load ESXi and run the VM for now. Let me know if I missed anything obvious on the networking. Thanks!

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
Edit for the archive: Please use version 2.0.0 which already contains the update
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:52:58 AM by ahenning »

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »
Awesome. Will test this upcoming weekend. Running on ESXi now and the improvement in WAN performance so far is impressive.  :)

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:01 PM »
I got bored and went into the office late last night. Your suggested fix works perfectly. I now have a fully functional RS140 wanos box in production! Thanks for your help!

I will say that I dont see a perceivable improvement in performance running without the hypervisor though. I may go back to running this atop of ESXi for the increased utility. Snapshots, Veeam backups, etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:52:31 PM by Spiffster »

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
Awesome, great to hear that. Was the 80 Mbps benchtest on the VM running on ESXi?

Spiffster

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
Yes that was on ESXi. I did run the same test without the hypervisor and throughput appeared to be the same. BTW, is there some more standard test I can use to benchmark? This would insure that myself, and others have some kind of similar point of reference when comparing performance for different hardware / configurations.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Ok, got it, that's quite impressive. We didn't notice a perceivable difference between running directly on the hardware and ESXi VM in the < 20 Mbps range, but its good to know this seems to hold true at the top end as well.

iperf seems to be a good standard test utility that fits the bill. By default it uses highly compressible data that can skew tests results. With the '-F' option it can be configured to use a specific file:

e.g: Updated: Silesia Corpus
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:38:05 PM by lmolina »