Author Topic: Hyper-V Replica  (Read 5382 times)

dustin.adam

• View Profile
Hyper-V Replica
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
I'm trying to set up two WANOS virtual machines specifically to accelerate Hyper-V Replica Traffic to a remote site for a client of ours.

The client's infrastructure is pretty basic, they have a single subnet, and the Hyper-V 2012 Servers have a single vswitch connected as "external" for the VM's to connect to the LAN / WAN. I'm not sure I understand how to configure the NIC's on the WANOS virtual machine to accelerate the Replica Traffic to the remote site, if its even possible. Replica Traffic is sent over port 443.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hyper-V Replica
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
Hi Adam,

Bad news first: port 443 probably means encrypted, although not always. If encrypted its just bad news.

The good news. Replication traffic normally works very well. If the traffic is not encrypted or it can be disabled, it could be well worth the trouble.

Since the Windows 2012 server receives and originates the traffic, the only way to get it to work is to channel the server traffic through Wanos as well. As you noted this can be a bit tricky:
The easiest would probably be to assign the Wanos ports to a separate vswitch and physical nic. Each port in a different vlan. To get the traffic through Wanos, the wan0 is connected to the router vlan through the nic. lan0 is connected to the lan network and vlan.

Basically:
Router -vlan-20- wan0-wanos-vm-lan0 -vlan-1- switch -vlan-1- existing Hyper-V infrastructure as is today.

This setup could also make seamless failover possible if the switch supports pvstp. If Wanos reboots, the switch can detect this and revert to current topology.
CCIE RS, CCIE SP, Mnet&sys

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
Just while on the bypass/fail-over topic, here is the diagram:

More details: http://wanos.co/forum/index.php?topic=24

Note: Forum posts may be outdated. Please see the latest documentation at wanos.co/docs

dustin.adam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
yeah, the traffic is encrypted. Hyper-V Replica transmits directly over the WAN to an external IP Address, it's using SSL for authentication, but then recycles those certificates to encrypt and protect the traffic on transport. sigh.

we're waiting on two evaluation RiverBed Steelhead appliances (will be for over a month I'm told), but thus far I've been woefully unimpressed with their attitude towards smaller business that isn't looking to spend 80 grand on overkill hardware.

will be keeping an eye on you guys, if you ever get HTTPS decryption / optimization added I'd love to see it in action. And check out the Hyper-V Replica space, if there's any other easy way to integrate it with the Hyper-V hosts, we are seeing a lot more smaller SMB's moving to Hyper-V and using Replica as a super cost effective way of building out Disaster Operations plans.

great job though, love the product.

ahenning

• Team Wanos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Thanks Dustin, appreciate the kind words. SSL is high on the wishlist and will definitely keep Hyper-V replica in mind, since Vmware replication is working very well.

Thanks.